View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 AM

Default The darkest tone you've heard from an acoustic

I'm always curious about guitars with a really "dark" tone, at least in the sense of having very subdued, contained treble response. I've spent a lot of time looking at unwound strings options to see how the tone can be crafted from there, but I'm really interested in what specific guitars people have felt sounded really mellow and dark.

Granted, this is probably fairly subjective (unless you're using a spectroscope), and a poorly built guitar can sometimes sound darker than a well-built one by being overbuilt. On paper, I would guess that the top contender would be a fairly traditional non-scalloped, x-braced, mahogany-top guitar and with a shorter scale. Then again, my experience with modern generation mahogany guitars is that they're still the same relative brightness, only with a different mid-focus, more compression, and softer bass response.

Just to keep the conversation from sprawling too far, let's limit the guitars to models that are built with solid wood, not laminate.

So what about you lot? What's the darkest li'l six string flat top you've played?