View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
...Although I think those guidelines do not take into account good insulated windows and a vapor barrier on the inner side of the outside wall. And I think it is in general good to humidify living space when it gets really dry inside. Apparently not so much as to keep a guitar above 40% in cold weather, though.
Hi Howard and Neal…
I found no offensive info from either of you, but do know that in Wyoming (can't speak for other areas of the country) that if it's cold and dry outside, if I can even hold 40% it's a miracle, and if I push it higher what I end up with is ice on bottom ⅓ the windows, and water dripping onto the bottom of window casings and sills.

It may true Howard that my windows are not the best, but I'm not about to invest in $15,000 worth of new windows to correct it, when I plan on living here only 3 more years and selling the place.

I'm not convinced it would fix it anyway, since the upscale homes of several of my clients and students also suffer from this same icing and condensing on the windows problem. In fact it's so prevalent that the local paper reminds us to wash and wipe dry the bottoms of the casings after these episodes to avoid mold forming there.

I envy you who live near coasts and in the south - your humidity is much more to my nose's liking (I get spontaneous nose bleeds if it is too dry for too long).

I often smile when I hear people recommending that 45%-55% being optimal for guitars because out here the only way to accomplish it would be by extreme measures (perhaps a sealed hyperbaric chamber).

So much of our info is based on (and dependent on) where we live...

Just pitching in my 2 cents worth...thanks for letting me share.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…