View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Search the forum and you'll see many threads about this. Unless you use distilled water, a mist humidifier is going to leave a fine white powder all over the room you use it in. Also, unless you're using it in a fairly small, confined area, it's likely to not appreciably increase the RH in the room.

I bought a "whole house" evaporative portable humidifier (Essick) off Amazon for like $100. It's not exactly small, or quiet, but it does the job. When I run the AC (which is most of the time in Central FL), the RH in my music room hovers around 30%. With the evaporative humidifier, I can bring it up closer to 45%. It holds 5 gallons of water (ad says 6 gallons, but it's really only 5), which lasts for about 2 days if I want it around 45%, or 3 days if I set it to be closer to 40%. Right now, with the cooler weather, I haven't filled it in almost 2 weeks because it's naturally staying between 40 and 45%. I probably won't need to fill it again until I need to turn on the heat, which is usually in December or January.

BTW, I have 10 guitars, three of which hang in wood/glass cases on the wall. In-case humidifying systems would be a PITA to keep tabs on. It takes 5 minutes every time I fill it, which isn't too bad. And I don't need to use distilled water because the filter traps all the particles that a mist humidifier will deposit all over the room. I will need to buy a new filter for it soon though. After three months of using it, the filter is starting to smell.