View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Hide Glue for Bridge Install

I'm still a newbie with hide glue, but have really enjoyed using it for various applications on my most recent build. I'm thinking about making a run at installing the bridge (steel string) with hide glue rather than titebond or LMI's glue on this one.

I ran across a youtube video by Michael Thames for a classical bridge installation. He seems to advocate for spreading a thin layer of HHG on the soundboard at the bridge footprint and then letting that dry. It seems he then just applies the HHG onto the bottom of the bridge and then mates that per normal over the dried HHG on the bridge footprint. The video is not extremely clear, but I think this is what he is doing.

Does this make sense to pre-apply and dry on the soundboard and then just apply the HHG to the bottom of the bridge before mating and clamping? I know HHG will bond to itself, but didn't know if the two surfaces need to have the glue in a liquified state as you mate them, or if the liquified on one side against dried on the other side will be ok? If so, it makes me feel more at ease with the timing of the process before it starts to gel.

Thanks in advance!