View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
Really good answer, my intuition told me "learn more songs", so I'm glad to hear that from another person.
You only need to look at the great songwriters of the past - at least the pop writers of the 50s and 60s.

The classic example is the Beatles, who had minimal music lessons, practically no theory at all (they knew a few chord names but that was about it). But they learned 100s of songs in all kinds of styles, to entertain various kinds of audience, in the years 1957-62. They then had all the vocabulary they needed to write their own. The only other ingredient (and you might guess this) was supreme confidence in their abilities.

The question is: why would you not write a song? Who says you can't? When I got my first guitar, I wrote four songs in the first week. Nobody said I couldn't! Were they any good? Of course not! That's not the point! The more I did it, the better they got (well, I think so anyway...) I just copied some things I found in other songs, put different pieces together any way that sounded OK. It's easy.