View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default July 22 The Box is almost done!

I made some big boo boo's. Nothing that was not fixable. But, I made hours of work for myself. Nothing makes you remember better methods like hours to think about it.
I put on the end blocks without sizing them first! Chopping a 1/4" off of one and a top 1/8" and a bottom 1/8" off another was a real bummer. + I had the
NT block on an angle I guess when I leveled it down. That caused problems also.
I drove a drill bit into the table and used that as a centerpost.

Then I poked a hole in the sandpaper on the radius dish, accessing a center hole. I leveled the molds sorta and centered sorta. I used a White construction pencil to mark the whole top perimeter. That will tell me when I am level.

I also added a center brace I made quickly. It really seems like a great addition for holding the top and bottom in place.

Well, 15 minutes of sanding with the 28' dish leveled all but the back of the NT Block. So, I filled in the set pin holes I won't use and superglued a thin piece of Mahogany (remember the height gauge for the Backstrip? RIP)

on the slope I had created sanding flat something that was not flat.
Now I rough sanded. Then Radiused down quickly.

When I did the back side with the 20' it went a lot smoother. First I went back to the class pictures at A.S.I.A on this method. I braced and leveled better. Marked it and sanded. The end blocks cooperated!

Onto kerfing. I have watched build threads for 5 years now. The clothespins everywhere was always the picture that had me wondering "How in the heck do I get to that point" Now I am here!

It's 10:30. Time to make my wife some Eggplant Parmesan.

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 07-23-2009 at 07:36 AM.