View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Welcome to the world of the most polarizing team in America, the New England Patriots. Once a doormat, they are now a standard of excellence. Somehow this brings out all the haters who gotta hate. Maybe because they can't figure out how the Patriots can be that good that consistently?

Don
While “hater” overstates the case, it’s very possible to be amazed at their sustained success, respect them totally, and still be sick to death of them and ready for them to exit stage left.

How they’re this good for this long is that they managed to combine a once in a lifetime coach with a five or six in a lifetime quarterback in a really weak division (which is weak largely because of how strong they are) assuring they almost never play on the road in the playoffs. It’s an amazing recipe, they’re late in what has been an incredible run. I don’t rate Brady as a singular GOAT although I think he’s an amazing QB, because I can think of a handful of others who I think would have done just as well in Belichek’s system.

While I don’t like the personality of the franchise - there are dynasties I’ve liked, but none has been around this long, so I’d have probably gotten sick of them too - and I root against them in every Super Bowl they play these days (I was for them in the first two), if they do get that sixth title, I’ll applaud them and figure they deserve it for their sustained excellence.

But I’m still sick of them and hope they get their butts kicked today. And if they’re in it next year, I’ll feel the same way. Unless the Cowboys are on the other side - THAT’S a team I truely hate and have since childhood... BTW, I’d say the Cowboys and Yankees are more polarizing than the Pats, but they’re working hard at matching them...

I hope it’s a good game or - way beyond unlikely - a Rams blowout. I’ll sleep fine regardless. I feel good being a fan of one of only two teams to beat them in he Supe. I guess the NFC East is their kryptonite - they’re 1-3 against us...

-Ray