View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"Audiophile" is a word that carries so much baggage of snobbery that I sometimes hesitate to identify myself with that word. However, I love good music, I love good recordings, and I love to hear good music and recordings on good equipment enough to have gone into recording engineering and production as my vocation. Because of this, I spend a large portion of my life sitting in front of a $10,000 monitor system in a $100,000 architecturally designed recording control room. When I go home, I confess that the last thing on earth I want to do is listen on a crappy system. I dreamed for years of a particular listening system I wanted for home but it would take a miracle...

But a few years ago, through the combination of two circumstances (a lightning strike on my home that destroyed virtually every piece of consumer electronics in the house and stumbling across a pair of the very recording monitors I wanted in excellent condition, really just broken in, at literal fire sale prices) I now have my dream system. The receiver is a nice Denon and the speakers are Urei 811Cs, the little brothers of the speakers in my control room. They were built right after JBL took over UREI and improved their designs. Each speaker has a 15" woofer with a coaxial, time-aligned tweeter horn.

Because they are really designed to be soffit mounted in a control room (and aren't), each one is stacked on top of a Sony subwoofer. It helps that I have an extraordinarily tolerant wife with those beasts in the living room. It also helps that they sound marvelous, and that I integrated them into a home theater system to allow her to see movies even though she is chronically ill and can't go to movies at the theater. They live in a great room that is 30'x15'x18', so they can develop some really, um, reasonable bass.

So, I consider myself lucky to be able to go home to a system that really sounds as nice as the one at work. The tweeters on these are one revision beyond the ones at work and sound a bit nicer and I've tweaked the crossovers so that they sound pretty, rather than simply accurate.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)