View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehempel View Post
I dunno. Im stumped. I've used this position for everything. I even went to my car and listened, and it sounds normal. The one with the effects is supposed to have a bit of delay/chorus to it, butvit wouldn't he on the original....hmmmm.
Phase is a tricky thing. Once you know what to listen for, it pops out the minute you hear it. I recognized the sound in the first few seconds of playback. But it can be hard to hear at first, until you learn to recognize it.

I can't really fix the phase on yours, but here's an example to show the effect. Here's a relative in phase sample:

In Phase

Same example with one track flipped so its perfectly out of phase:

Out Phase

It's subtle, but important. With mine, if you played this back in mono, it would be very thin. Some people may even like the out of phase sound, it sounds wider, but it will really get in the way of creating a good sounding mix. This is one of the most important basics of getting a good solo guitar stereo recording. I can't imagine how the problem is occurring with the Zoom, that should be one of the things you don't even have to think about with a one-button recorder like that, unless you did some processing to the "original" track?