View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 08:08 AM

I’ve used a G-XT for about 7-8 years. The Tone button works very well to simply give a nice EQ, some de-essing and mild compression. I leave mine on all the time. It is just a button so there are no adjustments to be made - luckily, it sounds really good.

The harmonies are why I bought the pedal. Over time, I came to realize that a little goes a long way. It’s tempting to turn up the level of the pedal’s harmonies and use lots of layers, doubling, etc. It can sound pretty cheesy when you do that. I like to use one harmony - usually a 3rd above or below (really a 6th), and use the switch to use it for fairly brief periods. It will catch an audience’s attention, but by the time they turn to see if there are two people on stage, it’s gone. Set the level fairly low (about 9 o’clock for me), so that it sweetens, rather than dominates.

One other caveat: what you play on guitar while the harmony is on, must contain a 3rd interval or the pedal can’t accurately judge if the harmony should be major or minor. This means you have to think about your arrangement a little.

As far as the pitch correction, it does work. I, personally don’t like the sound of pitch corrected vocals, so I always leave it off on my G-XT. You don’t want harmonies of off pitch vocals - that just sounds like two or three bad singers.

I love mine, but learn how to use it well.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst