View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 05:04 AM

Default Advice: hunting for a new Martin, but which one?

Hi everyone,

In this lockdown I could really use your help and expertise while picking a new guitar! Sorry for the long post, but let me try to explain..

For a long time now I feel an urge to add a Martin guitar to my collection. I have several reasons to do so, among others the rich sound, but also the history of the guitar company and the beautiful minimalistic looks. The fact that countless guitar players, both amateur and professional, enjoyed Martin guitars throughout the years also adds to this.

Wanting to buy another guitar also comes from a vague feeling that I'm missing something, currently not having the right guitar for my style of playing and music preference. For example, the last several years this got more focused on playing solo without a band, more fingerpicking/picking-strumming and simply having another music preference. Less rockmusic, more modern folk, singer-songwriter music (e.g. influenced by artists such as Ben Howard, Tallest Man on Earth, Coner Oberst).

Years ago, when I played for just a few years or so, I bought my first serious acoustic; a Gibson J-185 EC (maple, 2006). Maybe a bit over the top for a relative beginner, but that was the guitar that I wanted back then, largely based on looks and the ability to plug in. It's quite a big guitar with a big sounds, great for chords. To get the most out of the guitar it asks for a lot of power when playing.

Because of my attachment to the Gibson I won't part with it, and therefore I'm searching for an addition to this guitar that better suits my current needs and preferences. Looking for a Martin with a rich and full bodied sound that goes well with fingerpicking and strumming/picking combinations, that doesn't ask too much power when playing (like the jumbo does), so one that also work when playing a bit more subtle but still has a deep and beautiful sound.

Obviously I will test several guitars before buying de definite one, but while I'm in lockdown I want to take this time to do research and trying to figure out what I want. I started looking at the Martin D-28, but then also the OM-28 got my attention. Again, my apologies for the long message, but I could really use your experiences, expertise and opinion about this. So thanks all for taking this time!