View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
So the structured sides are 3 layers, right? Even more stable than 2 layers? My recent John Kinnaird Customs have double sides. If I am correct it allows the top to be lighter as it is no longer doing structural duty.
Yup, three layers with the middle layer being quite thick and they are incredibly strong. With just the rims joined (no top/back) my shopmate stood a guitar on it's end and balanced a full 5-gallon water bottle on top with little deflection. Over time most guitars fold in on themselves under tension with the backs flattening out -- hence the eventual need for a neck reset. With sides like these, I can't really imagine that happening (though you'll have to check back in with me in 50 years). Like you mentioned, this now changes some of the fundamental requirements you need to consider in construction/bracing. Also, the increased weight of the sides helps them act as a reflector and keep the vibrations where I want them. A simplified example -- imagine sticking a ruler off the side of a desk and giving it a twang. If that ruler is held down by a 1 lb. weight versus a 50 lb. weight, it's not difficult to imagine which scenario will lead to more efficiency and sustain!

One of the more fun things that came out of this build was coming up with a flush magnetic truss rod cover. My shopmate Nic (Island Instrument Manufacture) had done a circular and flush cover held down by a couple of screws. It looked pretty darn slick and with a little thought I figured a way to take the screws out of the equation...

(this one is actually a pretty nifty animated GIF that shows how the magnet just sucks the cover in -- you can see it in action on my instagram!)

No fancy tools required to accurately and evenly push the bushings in for tuning machines...

And here's a shot of the pinless bridge (macassar ebony, arariba, and malaysian blackwood) carved and ready to be glued on...

Thanks again for checking this one out!
instagram