View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Zach, since you're experiencing frustration working the mics so close, perhaps consider moving them back. I've been having what I consider good luck at between 18" and 24" in an approximation of an ORTF array. That's placing the two mics so they are at a 110 degree angle, with the capsules 17 cm apart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique

Basically, think of yourself as miking the space rather than miking the instrument. Doug Young recommends moving the mics up so they're even with the top edge of the guitar, in order to avoid soundhole blast.

Have we discussed tracking levels? There's still a world of bad advice bouncing around that suggests you should track as hot as possible, "use all the bits," etc. But the sweet spot for recording gear is around the old 0 dBVU on tape machines, which translates to around -18 dBFS on a digital system. This is where your average level should sit, with peaks up to -6 or so. Then use mixing and mastering tricks to get the levels up if needed for release.

Before I learned this trick recording was extremely frustrating. This more relaxed level of tracking goes very nicely with a more distant mic location as well.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog