View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM

Since the H1 is not yet available we can only surmise based on the specs and description at the Zoom site:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=2053

The mics appear similar to the H4n, but the product description states:

Quote:
Same frequency and SPL handling as popular Zoom H2
When I did a comparison of the H4n to the H2, I thought the H2 presented a very slightly bass heavy result. You can compare them yourself with the clips and discussion here: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

The H2 has two big advantages over the other Zoom recorders - the "stand up by itself" form factor and the front and rear mic configuration. Both the H1 and the H4n need some sort of stand, something extra to carry and setup when you want to record. The multi-mic configuration of the H2 works wonderfully for recording "in the round" jam sessions and rehearsals, too. When we use an H4 someone is often on the wrong side of the mics.

I think it's worth considering future uses when shopping for one of these recorders. The quality is so remarkably good that these units open up lots of new avenues. I use my H2 a lot with video projects, as a tool for capturing soundboard mixes, and as an MP3 player when I'm in nitrous-land at the dentist <grin>.

I put my H2 in the wrong spot at a recent gig - someone came along and put their foot in the same spot!! The Zoom almost survived, but the Line In jack got punched in, so I started shopping for a replacement. I looked at the new Tascam DR-100, the H4n, the H1, and H2. Occasional comments about the mic quality of the DR-100 knocked that one out. The H1 does not have a Line In connector, so that came off the list. The H4n is still intriguing, but it's just not as handy as the H2, so when I found a pretty good deal on an Ebay H2 I bought it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 07-03-2010 at 04:53 PM.