View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Thanks for the recommendations...and the insight. WRT the 3k Taylor vs. the 5k....I agree. There were several 3k-range Taylors in the shop that day, and while the more expensive one was aesthetically more pleasing to look at...there was not a lot of difference in the way they played (at least that I could tell...I do not consider myself to be an expert guitar player so admittedly, there could be nuances about each that my fingers just could not feel).

Would love to try an Emerald and some of the other higher end models you mentioned...because I think they are beautiful and would be interested in the differences to what I have become accustomed to. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to choose the Sable as my first / only acoustic. I know it isn't the route most players follow, but I can honestly say without a doubt this guitar has facilitated my growth as a musician.

It seems a shame when we have to justify the cost of a well-made instrument, especially since (in my journey) it was the catalyst for unlocking techniques and tones I know I would have struggled with on a lesser guitar. It inspired and spurred me to practice more, and rewarded that practice with results that made me happy and more confident...and made my wife actually say she was glad I made that choice.

For me, that experience of overcoming the limitations and focusing on expression really kind of sums up what music is all about.

Honestly, I think the absolute best value for an acoustic guitar in the whole market is the McPherson Sable. You can get a used one for around $2500 (or at least the last time I looked). I have not played a better guitar for the money. Larrivee is probably the closest you can get. The Sable is an amazing guitar. I think the pickup system leaves a little too much quack. But man, that guitar is killer.

Emeralds are good guitars, too. They have a different sound though. Not so “woody”, like the Sable. Same for Rainsongs. They’re all fantastic. CFs are so consistent. The Sable is just so warm, which is a criticism I’ve heard of a lot of CF guitars.

I think the high end Taylors are really pretty guitars, but their sound is not massively different than the cheaper ones, especially for the premium. I played with two guys who had Taylors- one with an 800 series and one with a 400. I think they sound exactly the same. The 800 is prettier and feels a little better. But not for the price, to my hands and ears.