View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
The general rule is use a 250k pot for single coils and 500k pot for hum buckers. You will find posts online that suggest more unusual pots (like 300k pots or 1 Meg Pots) but I have never messed with those. I would stick with the values you have. Most likely, if you have a Les Paul style guitar, they are 500k. Just stick with what you have and don’t go down the “what happens to the tone if I do something different” rabbit hole. I have found it does not change things that radically, so concentrate on repairing it and just play.

You might be able to fix it using contact cleaner so you do t even have to replace it. If you do replace it, buy a CTS brand pot. Make sure you get the right shaft size to match what you have. It probably would not cost much to have someone do it for you if you haven’t soldered before.
Ok thanks. I will try cleaning first, the guitar has P-90's so I'm not sure what they would use for that. On that particular guitar I wouldnt mind getting the bridge pickup to sound a bit darker relative to the neck pickup, I've thought of maybe installing a low noise version in the bridge to tame the highs a little bit, but figured maybe the pots might be manipulated to get the same effect.

I've soldered before, never on a guitar though.