View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Yes, by all means you can experiment with windows. and reflectors...make use of available light. That is what photography is all about.

However, assuming this is for taping oneself playing a guitar, the idea is probably to just get good light on the guitar and player, so that they can be seen well in the video. I watch lot's of videos done at home by these players, and as a videographer I can tell you all the things they did wrong with lighting. But that's not the purpose of the video, and often the video is filmed in a setting where maybe they want a certain background in the video, or even what may be often the case is they don't want a certain background in the video. These restrictions often cause the player to sit in poor lighting, and since the camera used to film them is often in total automatic mode, it's not really set properly to even make the best of a bad lighting situation.

So with all this in mind, back to my original suggestion. I would tell almost everyone of the home guitar player film makers, just get a pair of lights on lightstands with large(ish) white translucent shoot through umbrellas to either side of the camera. Get the lights in a white/daylight color and the video will look reasonably good 99.9% of the time no matter what the setting, unless there is an extremely bright light source directly behind the player. That is a simple, fool proof setup that is cheap, easy to store, and can be replicated almost anywhere, anytime.

Now if you want to experiment and get creative with lighting, or shoot more outside where it's brighter than the lights...then you can do things all kinds of different ways, with all kinds of different results. There are no rules, and all the rules can be broken anyway.