View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 02:27 PM

I’ve got several portable audio recorders by Zoom, Tascam and others, but my favorite portable recording solution right now is my phone with the new Shure MV88+ kit. It sounds about the same as the best of the portable recorders, but it is just so darned convenient having good sound with the phone. You can touch screen edit and share immediately, including to cloud services if you want to get the sound to your editing software.

It has a number of switchable patterns including a stereo mode with an adjustable spread, cardioid, and figure 8.

I am using it with a OnePlus 6 Android phone and it works as well with it as it would with an iPhone.

It comes with two apps: one for shooting video and another for just recording audio. These apps give you access to all the adjustable parameters of the mic: compression, limiting, level, EQ, mic pattern, stereo mic spread, headphone monitoring level, etc.

You can also use other video or audio apps, but they don’t give you access to all these parameters, so you would have to set the mic up in the Sony app, then switch to your other recording app.

There is a bit of a video overview here:

https://youtu.be/thacMX9H_CU