View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You might check out the AEA N22 someone mentioned above. I have a pair, and they sound very nice. They're designed for home studios with more challenged acoustics, which mostly means they allow you to mic *really* close. For me, they work best literally a few inches from the guitar. They have an extended frequency response, so they're not as dark as many ribbons, and still have that smooth ribbon sound. Nice mics.
Thanks. I had thought about those at one point but I'm going to be patient on the ribbons until I have a bigger room. That should happen within two years. For now, I have a Gefell M295 pair that were also designed to work well up close.

My house right now is tiny ...less than 1000 sq ft. But my location makes it worth enough that I'll be able to sell it and buy something 3x the size. Right now, Asheville NC is on the top of my list, but I'm looking at other options too. The Chesapeake area looks very nice as well. Asheville ticks off more boxes though. I have a little time to figure it out ...time enough to shop for houses and ribbon mics.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube