View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

For those who have brought home a carbon fiber guitar, how has your experience, especially compared to what you like about wood, been? Almost as good? As good? Better? Not even close?
Discuss.
Well I am one of those new CF guitar day people that you are referring to...

I frankly had no idea what to expect. I knew that the CF guitars had been around for two decades or so, and that like any technology, I surmised that it had likely evolved and improved since their introduction. While I consider myself quite knowledgable about acoustic guitars, I knew next to nothing about CF guitars. I really put myself in the able hands of Ted to help guide me to buy a CF guitar sight unseen. After asking about my playing application, likes and dislikes he recommended the RainSong CH-OM that I purchased.

It was been a very interesting experience for me to audition this guitar. They definitely have their own character of timbre and overall, I am quite pleased with the guitar. I don't think that it is fair to compare my CF to my luthier built wooden flat tops. It would be similarly unfair to compare a factory wood guitar given the disparity in price point. On my subjective tone scale, I consider the RainSong to be on the upper side of "good" which is impressive for a factory guitar at this price point (whether CF or Wood).

----------------------------Awful-----Average-----Good-----Very Good------Sublime-----
RainSong CH-OM------------------------------------X
My Luthier Wood Guitars-----------------------------------------X---------------X

In comparison, I would assess my luthier made wooden guitars to me subjectively euphonically more pleasing to my ear. All of these guitars in my subjective "very good" to "sublime" category. Like most things, achieving the last 5% of goodness can be quite difficult. That said, I am very impressed with just how good my CF guitar does sound, plus I can play it in places where my wood guitars could NEVER go...