View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I thought that now is the right time to jump in the discussion.

Building this guitar for Don is a special and new experience for me as this is my first baritone. But it is a lot of fun for many reasons. First, I think building a guitar for a friend is always fun, even more if he is such an incredible and interesting player like Don. Every single decision was made after long discussions to fit it perfectly to Don's playing style and his requirements.
And also building a guitar with such great materials is very pleasing. The mahogany with its great figure that needed some extra care when bending the sides and bracing the back. And the bearclaw spruce that is out of an uncommonly lightweight and beautifully figured batch I bought a few years ago in Switzerland.

Finally the last coat of lacquer is on so it is time for fine sanding and buffing next week!

Meanwhile I have some pictures of the guitar right before I did the finish sanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
This looks wonderful Max! Just waiting for the day I get to own a personal Baritone guitar. The woods look really great and so does the bevel! Keep up the good work
Thanks Marcus! I can't wait to hear this one. Hope to build some more baritones in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
Wow - looks amazing!

Following this one closely and with great interest!

It's eerily similar to my original spec for a baritone that Tom Sands is currently building me (mod D baritone, Swiss Moon spruce over fiddleback hog, cutaway, bevel) - although there was a bit of a switcheroo on the b/s wood choice.

That Honduran looks very "Tree"-like too! Do you know anything about its provenance?

Looking forward to seeing it progress - and to what you do with it. It sounds like we both have a similar approach to our baritones - slow pieces, carefully spaced voicings, generally less is more, and (at least in my case) lots of harmonics.

Please do tell us more about your "technique of bowing the instrument and of creating harmony using wind over the strings".
Thanks Daniel! That mahogany really looks like the tree but I am not sure if it is "The Tree".
Your baritone from Tom looks fantastic too! And that back/side set he's used will perfectly match with your Kostal MD.