View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 AM

I have been doing the original Taylor bolt on butt joint for probably 15 years now. The 'modern' modification of that is to drill a dowel into the heal so that you can screw and glue the neck inserts into that and it significantly strengthens the heal. But anyway I have only had to reset the neck angle on one of my guitars and it took about 10 minutes.

I think most people over estimate how much wood needs to be removed at the heal to reset a neck. It's really not very much. With a strip of 100 grit sand paper you can floss the neck angle in fairly quickly. The result is that one can hardly even notice that there is any fall away. Of course I don't 'believe' in fall away in the first place so I do not build it into my guitars. I suppose if I did then the new neck angle would exacerbate that problem. And of course if the action is 3/8ths of an inch off the 12th fret then you might have to deal with fall away.

I do like Taylors new design and have thought about adopting something similar to it but the old design is so simple to execute and so far has held the test of time. Simple is often times better too. That and as mercy stated the new design does add weight.