View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Thanks for jumping in on this thread everyone, though not always so gently... Appreciate starting closer to the deep end.

Some other thoughts on handmade v. factory made:

-This isn't about price. Northwoods cost what a 500-series Taylor costs. Custom Circas cost what custom Martins cost.

-Used handmade guitars seem like a completely different market than new customs. I can't handle the seemingly 30-50% higher price for a new custom v. that same guitar on the used market. I can't handle more than one guitar! I don't begrudge those who can make that custom experience a reality or build out big or small collections.

-I don't dispute that there are very skilled hands that make amazing guitars in a factory setting. Luthiers work solo, in small shops and in factories. If using "handmade" doesn't distinguish, what term does? How would you differentiate between the setting for a Larrivee and a Northwood if not calling it factory or handmade? I love both, but they are different.

-I was a little taken aback upon first reading Ervin Somogyi reference, "It's been pointed out that comparing a handmade guitar to a factory made one is like comparing a painting to a toaster." (Fingerstyle Guitar, #43, 2001). It sounded so haughty. Now, I don't know so much. They feel different to me.

Keep the conversation going if you're interested. Thanks for jumping on this first thread!