View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I have nothing to add, sorry - but I have a Loar 700 and would like add a pickup at some stage. So I'd love to see/hear what you come up with!
Did you consider any other pickups and if so why did you go for the Kent Armstong?
tdq,
I hope to have a prototype PG of 1/8" birch ply cut sometime this week. Although the narrow Benedetto style "finger rest" PG's appeal to me, especially when done in ebony, I don't think that style is appropriate for the vintage jazz box vibe of the Loar, though I'm tempted to try it out. I went with this particular Kent Armstrong pickup because its listed depth is 3/8", most of the others I looked at are 1/2" and I'm not sure how much space I have to play with. Adjustable pole pieces would be nice and I may end up going in that direction eventually if I find I have room to spare. The Slimbucker was less that $50 USD, so I'm game for considering it disposable should another pickup offer sound/features I want. One issue with the Slimbucker however, although the pickup itself measures under 3.8" thick (its advertised thickness), there are no leads attached, and the solder tabs extend down, perpendicular to the top of the pickup, almost 1/4". Test fitting the pickup indicates this is an issue, so I'll have to bend them back to reclaim some clearance. Will post results when I have some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I mounted a Kent Armstrong neck pickup, and pickguard with volume and tone pots mounted underneath, all from Stew-Mac. I did not drill any holes in the top or sides of the guitar (Eastman AR605 with elevated fretboard). I drilled into the fretboard sides for pilot holes to mount the pickup and pickguard. I made a pickguard mount out of 1/4" barstock that screws into the fretboard edge. No need for a bracket screwed into the side of the guitar.

I already had drilled the tail block for the output jack when I installed a piezo SBT earlier. Now the mag pu goes to the top and piezo to the ring, both outputs run to a Baggs Mixpro preamp.
Mandobart,
Thanks for sharing your setup. I like the thumbwheel controls. That approach has it's appeal and I may end up going that route eventually. I want to avoid drilling the sides of the fretboard for now, and I figure if I don't like the pickup, I can remove it and make a new pickguard, but yes, not thrilled with drilling into the body either. For now I'm planning on keeping it as simple as possible with the pickup getting wired directly to a 1/4" jack mounted underneath the pickguard, no controls on the guitar. May end up having to go to an 1/8" jack if there isn't room for the 1/4", or if I feel it's stresses the PG attachment points plugging in and out. Also hoping to avoid drilling through the tailpiece for an endpin jack as the strap button that is there now is fairly close to the top of the guitar. Rather avoid enlarging that hole if I can.

As you can see, lots of uncertainty, so gonna have to sneak up on this one.