Thread: Cites Update
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Don't get CITES restrictions mixed up with the selling restrictions recently adopted by Martin, Gibson and Guild where US dealers are not permitted to sell their guitars to countries outside the USA.

Possibly one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen by a manufacturer.
I wasn't aware of that. I assume that only applies to new instruments?

My info re. CITES comes from the NZ Dept of Conservation from whom I received the following message back in December.

"Although the exemption comes into effect for CITES from 26 November 2019, New Zealand law will still be in the process of updating requirements to align with CITES requirements. We expect this to be in place sometime in January 2020.

Until this occurs, the process for all CITES imports/exports/re-exports remains the same, you will still need a CITES permit to enable legal import into New Zealand.

We are recommending that people wanting to import musical instruments containing Dalbergia either, obtain the relevant permits to do so, or wait until the exemption comes into force in New Zealand law, after which time permits would not be required.

If you choose to not wait until the exemption applies, please ensure that the issued permit is validated by border officials on exit from the United States and that the original (not a photocopy) accompanies the shipment. The permit must be presented to New Zealand Customs Service or Ministry for Primary Industries on entry into New Zealand for clearance to occur. Failure to do this will result in the seizure of the specimen and subsequent forfeiture to the Crown. Permits cannot be obtained retrospectively once the specimen has entered New Zealand."

It's January so it's quite possible that the law has now been amended. I will need to check with them again.