View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I am NOT a big "pedal guy"; I much prefer playing through my Deluxe Reverb at a higher volume and "getting it done that way".

However, that's just not always a feasible solution, so I did buy a pedal. 8 years ago or,so, I checked out a few and they sound so phony, but I had the chance to have and use an original Klon Centaur (the horsey), as I was debating about getting a Tubescreamer.

I borrowed my buddy's TS and a-b'd the two pedals for a long time, given my own needs for minimal distortion... I loved the Klon, and could have gotten it for a decent price through a friend to "keep it in the family", but in the end? I went for the Tubescreamer for a few reasons.

One, the Tubescreamer actually "cleaned up" BETTER than the Klon when the volume came down on the guitar... mostly, I couldn't justify spending $400 ona pedal that I wsn't even planning on using in a group format.

The Tubescreamer is okay; it's a platform that has been modd'ed by many wonderful genius's to great effect. But it was almost always "too much" for what I wanted in my tone, except when going more towards Santana or something.

A year ago, my little local store expanded their pedal rack; made everything accessible and powered up so it was easy to check a bunch of them out. One pedal in particular was a favorite of my friend, Kurt, who owns the store. He knew my playing style a bit and told me about this little jewel... I resisted for a few months and finally just got one.

It's made by Tomsine, it's 1/2 size of the TS, it's ONLY ac adaptor powered; called The Bluesy... wouldn't really use it for an overdrive, BUT...

If what you want is just that "snap" on the notes when you HIT IT, like a good tube amp breaks up, IT IS A PHENOMENAL PEDAL... seriously touch sensitive (far more than the TS or the Klon), responds equally well to single coil or double coil pickups, true bypass so your tone isn't colored when it's off... simple controls, well-made housing... just great little pedal for SO LITTLE MONEY...

I paid too much for mine at 40$... I believe you can get 'em online for $29!

I checked out a few reviews of them, ALL positive, despite the writer's learned bias towards the cheap Chines pedals... he actually said he "wanted to trash it and hate it", but it was just too darned good!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman