View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a solo singer/songwriter playing out a lot at the moment - most of the time I'm playing in low volume situations (sometimes completely unplugged) but every now and then I play at a venue that's a bit louder.

One of these was last night and the sound I had onstage was pretty bad - the monitor mix was really bright and uninspiring and I found it really hard to get into my playing and, subsequently, into my singing and I felt my performance suffered as a result of this - plus it wasn't very pleasant listening to that tone for 45 minutes!

I have an AER Compact 60 which I use for guitar and vocals at coffeehouse style gigs and it occurred to me I could use the tuner out on my DI to feed the AER my guitar signal onstage, and then only use the monitor for vocals - that way I can adjust the guitar sound onstage to my liking and not have to worry about it sounding rubbish through the monitor.

I'd still be sending a pre AER signal to the FOH so I could adjust things without annoying the soundperson.

Does anyone one else use their amp in this way?

I have also in the past run my signal through my Fender Princeton reverb which does fill out the sound a bit, but I'm trying to take as little gear to gigs as possible (two guitars, a pedalboard, and a box of cables and CDs) and the AEr is pretty light and small, and the Princeton is heavier and also is a very different sound (which I do like on occasion!)

I do all the time. This week I will be doing at least 6 Sundance Film Festival gigs this next week on a variety of stages with totally different PA Setups. I would go crazy if I didn't have a consistent stage sound So I will send the XLR out of my Grace Alix to the house sound-man and the 1/4" out to one my my Schertler amps, either a Jam 400 or a Jam 200 depending how loud I want to be on stage. And for my vocal, I will send an aux out of the Schertler to the sound-man without any guitar getting into that output.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-19-2018 at 03:14 PM.