View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for the kind comments! Well, as Brook was working on the back and sides, he found there was a rough spot in the back pieces that would likely crack in the future, so he doesn't feel comfortable working with that set. He definitely knows his stuff and I don't doubt him in his decision. Without going into a long story, we agreed to hold off on the build for now. The reason has to do with me already having another build with another luthier that I'd already planned for later this year, and based on my goals for both of these instruments, I want to go ahead with the other build first, as there is now an earlier opening available in May to start that one. I hope to spend some time with that instrument once it's finished, and then decide what to use for the back/sides on the Yeti, since we're now back to square one on that. Just one of those things, first world problems...
Anyways, I would certainly encourage anyone to get in touch with Brook if you're curious to learn more about his work, and his prices, at least for now, are quite reasonable. He has been extremely approachable and knowledgeable throughout the process. This situation was definitely not his fault.
I first learned of his guitars about 8 years ago, just doing searches on the internet, and I'd been in touch with him a few times over the years. He seems to get customers more by word of mouth and attending some guitar shows in the Pacific Northwest area where he lives. His father was a woodworker and instrument builder, so he's spent a lot of his life around a woodshop. I believe he's been building for over 20 years.
I agree the body design of the Yeti is very elegant, and his cutaway is perhaps the most beautiful cutaway design I've ever seen!
So, that's all for now on this one. I'll post later this spring when my other build starts...

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD