View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 05:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Mark, how do you find the rosewood neck as far as how the instrument's balance is at this stage in construction? This may be the only acoustic guitars with a rosewood neck I've come across and I've been searching around for people sharing any experience with them - most people discussing them suggesting it'd be too heavy on an acoustic guitar. They're not uncommon on boutique electric guitars (EIR, cocobolo, kingwood, etc) but I can't say that I was able to find an acoustic example. Thanks for any input you have.

By the way, it's another beautiful guitar! I can't say I've seen anything less than extremely well thought out and executed in the choice of top, back/sides, neck and appointments on your instruments.

-Geoff
Thanks for the kind words Geoff. I like and can hear the difference using a rosewood neck. Objectively, it adds more sustain. Objectively/subjectively, it gives fuller trebles. Subjectively, it feels better on the fretting hand.
Weight wise it adds 2 to 3 ounces if the wood is chosen wisely. This is easily offset by open back tuners and an oversize or heavier tail block. Which, by the way, the additional weight on the tail block also adds to sustain. I am a big advocate of building very light guitars, though, I am not at all against putting weight where it belongs. I should add that these are incremental improvements and are not of the scale of change you hear on an electric guitar.

Hope that's helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks good Mark, if I were in town I would drive over, but alas, I am not. I hope it goes well....I assume you will have three guitars in various states of repair for display including Bachus, the padouk, and that new olivewood, wow, wow, wow. That should be good for a couple more orders I would think!

Sorry you can't make it out Tom. We were packed yesterday. I got several very interested customers and the beginnings of a custom order.
We set up the back wall with matted prints of some of my photography (for the non-guitar players) which also sold very well;

I met a new source for Black Walnut and some really great folks. This is one of the premier art tours in New England and draws from all over. It's also just the beginning of peak autumn colors so it makes for a wonderful experience. The tour also runs today with an option to stay open Monday. If I don't completely lose my voice we'll probably stay open on Monday as well

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 10-09-2016 at 05:51 AM.