View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Jason, do you tend to use the same scale length on all of your models? Since they are all for one customer, it would probably be feasible to use one scale length, one nut width, the same saddle spacing etc. on all of them, and so reduce some more variables.

What an exciting project - and what deep pockets your customer must have!
Great question!

The guitars will have their standard specs so that I can evaluate each guitar as I normally build it.

The Jumbo and MD both have a scale length of 25.25", the OM is 25" and the OO is 24.75". The nut width on all four models will be 1.750" and the string spacing on the J, MD and OM will be 2.25" and the OO will be 2.312". The OO will be a 12 fret body joint and a non cutaway and all others will be 14 fret body joint and cutaway as these are the specs most commonly requested for these guitars.

The main reason for not making them all the same scale length is that I would actually have to change my normal bracing in order to accommodate new scale lengths on each guitar which introduces more variables than it eliminates.

The key is that this is a commissioned build for a client and the "mad scientist" part is just an added bonus to it all. This isn't a perfect, controlled experiment, but for my purposes, and most of us as builders, this is as close as it comes without executing it as an experiment first and foremost.