View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I like tube gear of all kinds. Especially like 50s jazz recordings. I think records made with tube gear, and mixed for tube gear, sound better on tube gear. The ear likes the pleasing harmonic distortion natural to tubes. Some don't, hence the endless debate.

My uncle worked for the National Institute of Health. He told me in proven studies, the human ear can not hear distortion of 2% or less. Any hi fi amplifier since 1955 or more probably 1948, can meet those specs.

It is the nature of business to need to create demand, so everyone needs to have new fresh products. Fender needed to make the Blackface amp to replace the tweed. Then they needed to replace that with silverface. How many would say that was an improvement today.

In the acoustic guitar world, we see Gibson feeling the need to call a rosewood slope a J 45. Absurd. You may like these or not. Sometimes change is necessary to survive, like the mid 60s into the 70s era of the robust build. They had to stop the warranty nightmare from customers not knowing how to properly care for their guitars. Some change can be said to be better, like clean air, but most products are subject to subjective opinion. Any guitar company needs to create desire. They would go broke selling you a lifetime guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa