View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 PM

"What makes something classical? I'm never quite sure. If I play this jazz standard on a classical guitar, would it be classical?"

I guess the term "classical" in reference to music played on the typical "classical” or "Spanish" guitar and written for it probably refers to music written anywhere from the Medieval period up and into the mid to late 1800s or even early 1900s.

Now as an example: if you mean is "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" played on a classical guitar "Classical"?... nah, I think a piece like that is what most people would likely call a "Classic"... (drop the "al")

Jazz is a modern style of music which is very improvisational and usually built on several chords and scales and played openly as in a "Jam Session". But there again Jazz I believe would fall under the umbrella of "A Modern Classic", not "classical"... example: Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is a prime example of a "Classic" jazz piece but it's not what I would consider a "classical" music piece.

Most “Classical” music follows very tight and structured measures written by the composers and not open to improvisational interpretation. Yes there are nuances in how a note may be sounded, but most players follow and play each measure as written by the composer.

I have a Joe Pass Hollow body "Jazz" guitar. If I play a piece written by Ferdnando Sor, or Isaac Albeniz or a piece such as "Recuerdos De La Alhambra" by Francisco Tarrega on that jazz guitar... it's not jazz, it's "classical".

I may be totally wrong in my interpretation of the term "classical", but that's how I see it and how I classify a certain piece as either "Classical" or a "Classic".

Oh and Lorilee, I once owned a Martin 0028C, similar to Willie's and loved it, nice 630mm scale, a great student model. I picked it up almost "brand spanking new" in a pawn shop in 1972 and paid a whopping $250 for it, with hard case. I am so sorry I ever sold it.

Last edited by Always Learning; 09-28-2020 at 10:15 PM.