View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Default Another Schatten HFN fan

Yesterday I picked up my Eastman 00 and Cordoba C10 crossover from Cosmo music , both had Schatten HFN passive pick ups installed. To be honest I was a bit apprehensive about going passive instead of active, everything else I own is active. I got caught up in the AGF Schatten passive lovefest. I do own a LR Baggs Venue DI and a Behringer AD121 so I have that covered if need be.

I plugged straight into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and both instruments were just fine with out a preamp. My gain and master were maybe 1 notch above normal so that was great. What was even greater was the tone.......ok I get it now, really really nice. Sure it needed a little EQ at the amp, what system doesn't.

The Eastman 00 when set flat on the Loudbox Mini sounded a bit bright but with good bass. I mean better base then unplugged, this made me very happy. I set the low to 12:00, the mid to 10:30 the high to 10:30 and Bingo......great tone, easy peasy. The Cordoba nylon string C10 was a little more finicky, it was a bit harsh and a bit piezo like in the flat setting. But turning the low to 1:30, mid to 9:00 and high to 10:00 brought back the warm soft nylon sound. As an aside both instruments sounded good played finger style all flesh and No nails. I know Methos had mentioned he was not as successful in that area.

I am now a believer and just wanted to say thanks to all the members who went before me and supplied so much great info and feed back. It was very helpful.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 07-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.