View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 02:41 AM

This is an interesting discussion...

My experience is that my 25 year old sounds just as good as the day I purchased it. It's a mid range solid wood made in spain from a luthier who only used seasoned (naturally dried / not kiln) woods. I would tend to think that a studio / concert model, made of premium woods (solid rosewood sides and back) and kept right (proper humidity) will actually get better with age. Yes wood dries out, especially if not properly maintained. But solid woods that are properly dried prior to being used have lost all the moisture they ever will, so they are fully acclimated. Now, that said, only the outside surfaces generally get coated with lacquers and polishes. The inside is generally raw, has never had a protective coating applied, so it can in essence absorb ambient moisture in the air. And if it adsorbs too much moisture, that can cause all kinds of problems with not only how it sounds (dull and lifeless) but it can cause the woods to swell and so much so to the point where it's no longer playable.

I doubt that a laminated model would stand up as well when you consider that several layers of mostly different woods are glued and pressed. I would think that as it ages and if not kept properly, the glue that binds the laminates would crystallize and start to deteriorate.

I keep all my guitars in my music room / office that has a constantly maintained humidity or 45%, and they all sound marvelous.

Oh... and as for Segovia. He was a concert guitarist and paid very well for his performances and also paid well for the Master Classes he chaired... he could afford to buy a new one each year.

And another thought.. why do so many players look for those old Martins and Gibsons? Are they thinking... "I'm tired of my good sounding guitar, you know I want an old axe that sounds like crap and costs a small fortune".

Last edited by Always Learning; 01-21-2021 at 02:49 AM.