View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Now that one has some possibilities.

Hi Feste,
I am sorry but first I have to claim ignorance because I'd not heard of Bore Oil before so I had to Google it. I assume you are referring to a product for clarinets and other wood winds?

I can't speak directly to Bore Oil's use or application but the issue that I've encountered with other "oil" based products is that the oil seemed to continually leach out of the wood. Initially it would soak in and then you'd wipe it off and the oils would seem to keep popping up through the grain or it would retain an oily surface texture.

Our product does contain natural oils and a small amount of filtered beeswax and a trace amount of other organic ingredients. During application the heat from your hands and the friction of application softens the waxes and allows the oils to be absorbed into the wood. After the product is allowed to penetrate and cool a few hours, the oil is trapped in the wood beneath the beeswax and the oils don't migrate out of the wood. After the product is absorbed into the wood sufficiently you merely wipe off and buff the minimal amount of wax left on the surface with a soften cotton cloth. Not only do the waxes trap the oils in but they shield other contaminants out. You are left with a surface which is silky smooth and has a satin glow, ready to string up.
I’ve never noticed a residue with bore oil. Yes, it is the same oil used on woodwinds. I generally only have to condition my fretboard once a year with bore oil. Nonetheless, I’m game to try something new.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested