View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
A few months ago, I tried to find a former post of yours containing recordings illustrating that the difference between mic prices is far greater than the difference in performance but couldn't come up with the right search criteria.
I'm not sure how one would do that exact comparison. I did do one, which I've posted here before that I think demonstrates that the difference in mic prices is far greater than the difference in mics, tho. Here's a pair of AT2020's, nominally $100 each vs a pair of Brauner VM1s, nominally $5K each. There's a difference for sure, tho I've had people actually prefer the AT2020's, so I'm not sure it's better or worse, just different. But assuming the Brauner's sound better to you - and I like them... , the question is whether you think it sounds 50X or $9800 better?

These are played back to back, but were recorded simultaneously - same performance - thru identical chains, with the mics in as close to the same position as physically possible (Ty's concern about the delimna about mic placement in shootouts still applies):

Brauner VM1s vs AT2020's