View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Audacity has a flexible and powerful EQ tool, you could, for instance replicate the rolloff in your mic just as a starting point, then tweak the settings from there. Here's a look at a manual page for the EQ tool: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/equalization.html

The downside of Audacity is the lack of real-time effects. Each time you make an adjustment you must apply the effect then evaluate the result. With something like REAPER you can hear the track continuously while you make adjustments.

But if you're comfortable with Audacity and have it running well on your computer, there's something to be said for doing more recording and less installing and configuring new software.

In either case you can find lots of tutorial material for either REAPER or Audacity on YouTube and both programs are pretty well documented.

Fran
I have both Audacity and Reaper. Audacity in some ways is so simple is clumsy to work with. Reapers has it's benefits, but one thing I've been getting from it is occiasional "blips" of static noise in the recording that don't occur in Audacity. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong there? Not enough RAM dedicated to the program?

What I like about Reaper is that when you record in stereo you open and arm two tracks. However I haven't figured out if it is possible to auto-arm and pull up two channels simultaneously. In Audacity if I select stereo tracks as default I cannot figure out it if is possible edit L or R separately. When I click record with Audacity it will automatically start a new track and only mono or stereo as selected in preferences. As I said, simple but clumsy. There must be more to it to make Audacity a little more customized in the record mode and Reaper a little more simple in getting a recording going.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS