View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 PM

I have watched this thread for a very long time, with mixed feelings...

I can relate to what you are trying to do here: I (self-funded) started building ukulele's 3 years ago as a way to spend time with my sister who always had something better to do than hang out with me. It worked pretty well and, as a result, I decided to build her a guitar for her graduation from high school, I was 14. I documented that build on this forum here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=369723 and I got a lot of positive feedback so I decided to offer to build custom guitars for people on the forum. I got three takers wanting four guitars! This is where the problems started. I bought the materials and started all four, then I started having small issues and being a perfectionist I couldn't let myself continue on something that I knew had issues even when no one else who even know they ever existed in the end. I jumped the gun, and eventually, I ran out of time and had to pay them back because I couldn't do what I promised in the time frame I promised.

I can't even begin to say how aggravating it is to see people give you simple advice on how to fix the finish on the top or the rosettes! I finished my sister's guitar with $40 of canned lacquer and some $15 micro mesh, no buffing machine, no spray equipment!

For you to say that you can't do it because you don't have the money to buy the supplies makes absolutely no sense to me, at all! It doesn't take money to build a good looking guitar, it takes time, patience and a willingness to accept constructive criticism!!! Taking an electric bridge off an acoustic by cutting a hole in the top and covering it up with a weird looking inlay does not show prospective buyers that you A) know what you are doing or B) that they should give you money! Your kickstarted campaign didn't fail because you didn't have a budget for marketing, it failed because 999/1000 people who viewed it saw major issues with the way you were doing things!!!

I am not writing this to bash you at all, I repeat NOT TRYING TO BASH!!! but I am actually worried for you, what happens if this doesn't work and you now have $50'000-$100'000 in debt? I also don't know why you called it invested capital as no matter what you have to pay it back and that means it's a loan! How will you pay that back? Even if you sell all 8 guitars somehow, that's what, $15'000? Where's the rest coming from? What about interest? You keep saying you have no money and chose between a new tool and food, so how do you expect to pay back other people when you can't put food on your own table?

Just take your time, look at some of the other threads on here, learn something from the people who previously commented on here!!! No one here wants you to fail, in fact, a lot of people want you to succeed. But you have to be willing to admit that something, other than funding, is wrong and take the time to get it right!
While Edison didn't make the first light bulb he built over a thousand light bulb prototypes before he had one that worked well and was ready to be sold, everywhere along the way learning how to fix a previous problem!!!

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/nutmegacoustics

Last edited by CoolerKing; 02-25-2016 at 06:41 AM.