View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
New rosette work. Kinda boring to be posting the same stuff over again. But, such is the state of things when you glue before thinking.

Rosette channel routed. Cleaning the bottom with a chisel.

I went a different route and just glued the pieces straight into the channel, instead of gluing the rosette together and then gluing the completed thing into the channel. I think I much prefer this way of doing it. Although the glue ends up making a mess. Took a bit of work to get it all off the top.

Glue dried.

Halfway through scraping flush. Scrapers are the coolest wood working tool ever devised.

Sanding.

Done.

A better outcome than my first attempt.

An interesting note. This cedar is not as stiff as the cedar I jointed together from 2 inch wide quarter sawn re-sawed sections of boards from Lowes. This stuff is at .11 inches after thicknessing to a 6-7 MM 5LB deflection test VS .1-.95 inches for the other stuff. Now why a boards from Lowes would be stiffer than wood from Stew Mac is beyond me. Perhaps due to the fact that there was a fair bit of glue involved given the number of pieces I jointed together. But. Doesn't much matter given this is a first effort.

One thing I'm already pulling away from all this. I don't want to build with cedar again. Too soft and not stiff enough. Spruce or redwood will definitely be the next material I work with.
Yes it's possible that the multiple-piece top glue-up can be stiffer depending on the grain of the wood.

As to cedar I wouldn't shy away from it. Yes it does require greater care in handling but I really like the look and sound of cedar, especially for fingerstyle. One thing, however, that you found out, is that you have to be very clean when working cedar. The other thing is that when you get a set, you should de a deflection test BEFORE you join and defintely BEFORE you sand. Using the "cube rule of stiffness" it doesn't take a lot to drastically decrease stiffness. So I would do everything possible to protect the top (kraft paper) so you don't thin it further.