View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 AM

First, let me say that my experience is exclusively within bluegrass and country music genres, so if your writing or interest is confined to other types of music this may be irrelevant to your situation.

What I have observed is that hard work, persistence, networking and talent are what lead to success. Even then, the level of success is not guaranteed. A good friend of mine has spent over 30 years in Nashville writing and performing. He's an amazingly talented multi-instrumentalist, an in-demand session player, a Grammy nominated songwriter, has had his songs covered by artists such as Johnny Cash, Dirks Bentley, Miranda Lambert and Del McCoury among many others. He did not experience overnight success, it took him nearly 20 years to establish himself in the music business. He still performs at mostly small venues and house concerts for almost 200 dates per year; as he says "winning one fan at a time".

Through my friend I've had an up close look at the country music business, and as a singer/songwriter myself I realize that I didn't have the dedication to make it. I cared too much about family obligations and a steady income to make the necessary sacrifices and go out on a limb and trust my talent to lead me to a successful career there. While I've ended up having some minimal success as a songwriter, winning some regional awards and getting some recognition, I would have starved to death long ago if I'd had to live off of the income from those few accomplishments.

Perhaps as I continue to meet people and make connections heading into my dotage I'll get lucky and have a song I've written (or co-written) get placed with an artist who'll take it to the top of the charts, but I'm sure glad I'm not counting on it to make ends meet in retirement.

Good luck to you in your musical endeavors! Hard work and dedication are the best ways to create your own luck.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24