Thread: "over produced"
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

I think it's just anything that is added that really subtracts from the quality of the production. I've got no problem with complicated over-the-top production if it makes for a musical record. I love the Beatles, the Who, and Led Zeppelin. None of them were shy about using anything and everything available. There are things that stand well as solo acoustic jobs that also could be enjoyable as huge productions with orchestras or layers of synths.

I've got some solo acoustic stuff on my Imagining Dancers CD, but we've also got a tune with a sax, organ, guitars, bass, and a couple layers of percussion. A few of my folk music friends think the sax was a bit over-the-top. To each their own. I like the song with the sax, but I like it enough plain Jane that I might slap the original solo demo on a future project just for my own satisfaction.

It's just subjective. But I think there are certain things home recordists tend to be guilty of doing that are somewhat predictable. Too much reverb or too much layering of unison voices are two things that jump to mind immediately. That outer space sounding reverb is really a beginner mistake that you hear a lot.