View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Wade,

Congrats! This looks like it will be a wonderful guitar, and of course, I am a HUGE fan of Walnut.
Yeah, I love it, too. I like the way it looks, like the way it smells, but most of all I like the way it sounds...

Quote:
I am surprised that you did not go for a Cedar top, but clearly you are looking for a louder guitar.
It's funny, but I never even considered having a cedar top on this guitar.

I know cedar and redwood tops are popular on handbuilt walnut guitars, at least among fingerstyle players. But I've already got three cedar-topped guitars, and they're among the least-played of all the instruments I own.

I find that I, personally, can just pull a lot more sounds and tone colors out of a spruce top than I can out of cedar. What's more, on this particular guitar Howard and I are going for more of a vintage feel and sound, and it takes spruce to get that.

So on this guitar, it's just a combination of personal preference and that nod towards tradition, I guess....

Quote:
Keep the pictures coming!!!
Will do. Howard told me last night that the guitar is proceeding nicely, and that he's having a lot of fun working within the concept and basic design of a vintage instrument without having to copy every element of the originals down to the last millimeter.

So it's fun for me, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller