View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
However good the tonal quality of the black walnut back and sides is, and I believe it will be really good, no aesthetics were sacrificed in the choice which you and Howard made, Wade Hampton. The wood is gorgeous.
Well, of the four or five "finalist" wood sets that Howard sent me pictures of, this set of black walnut really was the least "glamorous." Howard's reaction to my choice was: "Really?" because he's got an extraordinary number of just staggeringly gorgeous sets. All of my other choices were considerably more striking from a visual standpoint. But this one felt right to me, and I know Howard's perfectly happy to be working with this set, or he wouldn't have included it in my choices to begin with.

Anyone who orders an instrument from Howard will get memorably attractive wood on it. He's got a remarkable collection of guitar sets, and I know there are a huge number that I didn't see, for the simple reason that I told him at the start that I wasn't interested in maple, Brazilian rosewood or any other member of the rosewood family, for that matter. I was interested in black walnut.

Howard did try to entice me with some outstanding koa and one set of Tasmanian blackwood that's one of the most beautiful sets of guitar wood that I've ever seen. I was tempted, because acacias like koa and Tasmanian and Australian blackwood are close cousins to black walnut in terms of their acoustic properties. But I stuck to my guns and went with black walnut, as I'd originally intended.

My loss is somebody else's gain - that Tasmanian blackwood Howard has is going to make a terrific guitar for somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I, too, and looking forward to the progress of this guitar.

Congratulations to you both!

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I'm looking forward to it, too, obviously.

Wade Hampton Miller