Thread: Headphones
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay, I'll go into my little schtick and song and dance here. If you want headphones to record with, go with monitor headphones. I'm a recording engineer by trade. Two goals in designing headphones are different for monitor cans:

1. Ear comfort. It doesn't matter if the headphones sound great if, because of frequency spikes, they fatigue your ears after a short time.
2. When recording, you need accurate, rather than great sounding, monitors. A speaker that makes the most music sound great is often not the most accurate.

The standard in the industry is the AKG240. The current version is the 240s. Here''s my personal anecdote: The AKG240 sounds the most like our $6000 UREI recording monitors of all the many headphone designs I've encountered over my blah-blah-blah years of recording. They also can be comfortably worn for an entire shift of editing, something I can't say for any Beyer, Koss, Fostex, etc. headphone I've encountered.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)