Thread: Myers pickups
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 03:56 AM

Resurrecting this thread as I have just purchase a feather myself. I have very little technical knowledge of amps/preamps etc but I wanted something simple to plug into my Fishman Loudbox mini, something that I could also use on my reso/lap/archtop/flatop without needing to buy 4 different sets of pickups! I also like to capture the pure acoustic sound as much a possible.

Early days yet but so far, I'm really liking the sound I'm getting but like others here aren't getting much levels. I have tried putting it directly in the sound hole on the archtop and reso, got much more volume but the sound was very boomy and too far removed from the pure sound I get when the mic is just above the grill (on the reso) or behind the bridge (on the archtop). I'm thinking of maybe enlarging one of the holes on the reso grill plate and trying it closer to the actual cone but a little wary of doing that just yet! I've also got a 1/4"/XLR adapter on the way so I'll going to try that too.

A question for those more knowledgeable - if I ran it into a preamp (say a Platinum Pro) would this give me more levels to the amp, or is the preamp more for controlled EQ (not considering the DI/PA route at this stage - some of the open mics I've done are very lo-fi!). I am mainly intending to use if for home recording and open mics and things of that ilk, I wont be playing in a full band.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube