View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 03:11 AM

Default Bolt on neck but glued fingerboard...

Prior to the introduction of the NT neck joint, Taylor still used a bolt on neck but the fingerboard was glued to the top. This makes adjusting the neck angle a little more complicated but still considerably easier and less invasive than a traditional dovetail joint.

I had a pre-NT Taylor 12 string where the neck angle wasn’t perfect. The neck was reset by the Taylor facility in Amsterdam. At the time I queried how the work would be carried out. Depending on how far out the neck angle was there were two options:

1) Loosen the neck bolts and remove wood from the back of the heel with abrasive paper. This could be done without ungluing the fretboard.

2) Unglue the fingerboard and adjust the heel, re-glue fingerboard and repair any finish damage to the soundboard.

The latter option was more expensive and in my case wasn’t needed as the neck geometry was not too far from optimal. The guitar was absolutely perfect when returned and played even more easily. The cost was a little under €300 for the revive package + neck reset.

As already suggested, you could certainly look to make saddle adjustments if the action is too high for your liking. If this doesn’t remedy the issue, get in touch with Taylor.

Hope that helps,

Nick