View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Put them on a couple of weeks ago, As I was tuning the 1st string, it slipped off the bridge. That hasn't happened to in more than 20 years. Luckily. I routinely tape a piece of cardboard behind the bridge to protect it. Re-tied it with an extra loop, tuned everything to pitch, checked to see if the ties were good, removed the protective cardboard and put the guitar away. Couple hours later, opened the case to find that the 1st string had once again slipped off, leaving a divot on the previously pristine soundboard of my Taylor 814c-N.

Needless to say I removed all the strings and replaced it with a nylon set. I'll not be trying carbons again anytime soon.
Ouch!
This happens with all fluorocarbon trebles. The easiest solution is to hold a match near, but not on the string end. That will form a ball at the end, and if your string does slip, the ball will catch the loops, rather than slipping completely. Some people have tried this, and burned the string end. In that case, the ball has very little holding strength, and can still slip. If you're without matches, a simple overhand knot, or figure eight know will work as well. They're not pretty, but they will definitely keep a string from slipping all the way.

P.S. I agree with everything Rudy said above, and a warning/instructions should be placed on the package.