Thread: Awaiting...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Well, the first guitar class is history. We started that after 3 hours of Gravity Cruisers (science) and long division with our daughter's Math Intervention group.

Certainly a variety of guitars, but they had one thing in common: no one knew how to tune 'em. In order to move things along, I tuned the guitars. One young lady said the guitar had been in their attic for over 15 years... nylon strings, and I'm pretty sure they were original.

Some discussion about the parts of the guitar, how to sit and hold it, and expectations (if you don't practice, I will be able to tell). I played parts of a couple "two chord songs" (yes, I did a Taylor Swift song) to give them a brief idea of how we can move on to learning songs as soon as they get a few chords down. And then went on to introduce them to "C" and "G"... there was a lot of "Oh, my fingers don't bend like that!" and "Ow - it hurts!"

"Time to toughen up those finger tips."

During it all, there was a certain amount of string strumming when I handed out a pick for each participant and a few "OK, no playing for a moment!" interjections from me.

No idea if any of them will stick with it, but there is "initial enthusiasm." We'll see how it goes.