View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I'm guessing most of us righties rest the guitar on the right leg. I'm not sure how this practice developed. Classical players have always rested it on the left leg for reasons of ergonomics. Like a shortstop on the balls of the feet, awaiting the batter's swing, and ready to move left or right with equal ease, the classical player is balanced, optimizing reach and minimizing tension. This requires playing off the left leg.

Even my own favorite player, Walter Rodrigues, Jr., plays off the right leg, so there must be a good reason for it.

Check this out and prepare to faint:

https://youtu.be/DaSh-fQupYI
Hi LC

Classical players also prop their left foot 6" in the air and point the neck nearly at the ceiling - but it's not just for ergonomics. And the longer they play that way the more back problems they develop. There are more trending towards using lifts these days.

I use a NeckUP lift and use it from the right leg with the headstock elevated to chin level. I've been using NeckUP lifts for over 15 years now. I think I use them for stability more than ergonomics, though they are probably related.

It allows me to work with both feet flat on the floor, and folds and goes under the headstock in my cases (or in a pick drawer, or in my gear bag). I don't always sit when I play, but when I do, a NeckUP is always with me.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…