View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have read that T-spruce is stiffer than non-T-spruce, but will fail catastrophically at 70% of the load. In other words, it is stiff until it breaks unexpectedly under a smaller stress than expected. Personally, since I do my work largely by feel, this is counter intuitive and wouldn’t suit me at all. If one worked with deflection testing instead, it seems to me that the data would be skewed in a way that would require a complete revision of the formula. The bracing would be to be more delicate to get the same response, but that would make the guitar even more vulnerable. I love my Adi bracing because I understand it!

I build like you Bruce. I build mostly by feel anymore. If you went with deflection testing on torrified spruce it would lull you into building in failure by your reckoning which I guess is what my concerns were. I'm thinking that this spruce might work well for back bracing since the loads are less and the contributions of the braces to sound production are different too, being more disciplinary in nature.
Its interesting that you use adi for braces. I do that as well in all my builds. It's one variable that I try to keep constant.